Friday, June 4, 2010

When you least expect it, Part 2

In the course of doing my genealogy research, I have sent letters and emails and made phone calls to any number of relatives. In some cases, I have tracked down quite distant relatives, using information in obituaries and other records, requesting information and photographs - whatever they have. I'm sure it's a little odd to them, to receive this unexpected letter in the mail from a stranger claiming to be a distant relative.

So, in the grand scheme of things, it's only fair that I should also receive a similarly unexpected letter as well.

Shortly after my surprising discovery while researching my father's family, I got an email from someone I have not seen or heard from in 41 years: my father. 

I don't think I need to divulge my exact age for you to get your arms around that one.

So, what do you say to someone you haven't spoken to in 41 years?

We started with Hello.

Since I was uncertain how to proceed (someone really should write a manual for this, I'd buy it), I decided to apply advice that has served me well in another area.  In genealogy, the experts recommend you start with the present and work your way back. Since it was genealogy that sparked the conversation with my cousin that sparked his email, that seemed to me like the way to go. When I suggested that to him, he agreed.

Progress.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome start. I never got much further with my mother, but hopefully your experience will be more fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely the way life goes. I'm a believer in everything happens for a reason, so maybe all of your recent genealogy endeavors was preparing you for this, eh eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jess. You really never know where life is going to take you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I hope everything turns out for the best. That has got to be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...